Hong Kong 2005
John Storey, Photographer
Doctor of Creative Arts, Photography, UOW.
I have worked across a wide range of imaging areas for several decades. During that period I have been part of some of the shifts, both technical and cultural, within Photography, a discipline that has expanded and progressed well beyond that generic title. At present I work as an exhibiting artist.
This site will continue to present new work.
Curriculum Vitae – Brief
Dr John Storey. b 1950.
BA 1973, University of NSW, Modern History and Sociology,
DCA Doctor of Creative Arts, 1992, University of Wollongong.
1979 –1985 Freelance Photographic Practice, Sydney.
Book reviews Radio 2 SER Macquarie University, 1983.
1985 – 6 Lecturer Photography, Graphic Design, Charles Sturt University.
1986 – Lecturer Photography, Department Photography, RMIT University.
Last Position, Associate Professor & Post Graduate Coordinator, School of Creative Media, RMIT University.
Non Fiction /Academic
Spearritt, Peter. Sydney Since the Twenties. 1978. Hale & Iremonger / Sydney 1978.
A significant numbers of images, including the cover images, were contributed by John Storey.
– Aplin, G, & Storey, J, 1984, 1991, Waterfront Sydney 1860 – 1920, Allen & Unwin, Sydney.
– Richter, A, 1994, Arts and Crafts of Indonesia, Thames & Hudson, London. Photographs by John Storey. (Short-listed for the Katherine Briggs Folklore Award, University College of London). As well in the following years documentary images were produced for a new book on Jewellry in Asia.
– Bodyscapes, text and photographs, Craft Arts International No 39, 1997.
– Form & Intuition, text and photographs, Craft Arts International No 40 1997.
– Seeing is Believing: Looking at Visual Literacy, text, Contemporary Craft Review, Craft Victoria, 1996.
– Arts /Sciences within the University, joint paper Dr Williams, ACUADS, Hobart University, Hobart, 1998.
– Media and Change in Universities, Pacific History Conference, Samoa, 2002,
– The information revolution, Text-Image-Sound, Multimedia Conference RMIT, 1995.
– 2068-3070, Paper to Law conference Melbourne University Law School, co authored with Dr Richard Mohr, Head of Research, School of Law , University of Wollongong. This paper has been revised by Dr Mohr and will be presented within the Philosophy Dept at Turin (Università di Torino) on 21 April 2009.
Exhibitions from 1980
– Architectural Photographers NSW Chapter of the Royal Institute of Architects 1984. Group Show.
– Disposals Artspace, Wagga, 1987 -89, A collective of the art teaching staff from Charles Sturt University, these being a combination of group and solo shows.
– Pictures from The New World, Solo
– a flight without wings, Solo
– keeper of the secrets, Solo
OZMUS Show, Envelop Show, Disposals Farewell Show. Group
– Charles Sturt University Lecturers Show, 1986-7.Group
– The Agfa Salon, The Big Little Picture Show. Group show. CCP. 1987-93. Group
– A Sense of Place, Lighthouse, Melbourne1987.Group
– RMIT Staff Show, RMIT Gallery, 1989. Group
– The Affordable Art Show, 2005, Melbourne Exhibition Hall, with the Pharos. Group.
– Bridges Arts Show, Eltham Region, with the Pharos Group, 2005.
– Hong Kong Patina, Gallery Edge, with an essay to explain this was a short visit so the images
reflect that brief time, 2006. Solo.
– Stills Co Op group exhibition, Melbourne, 2014.
– David McDiarmid, Retrospective in Memory of his life of Art and Politics, Ian Potter Galley Federation Square, Melbourne. I submitted a series of photographs I took during a Gay Liberation demonstration in Sydney, 1973, in which David was arrested. NGV 2014.
– Gay Liberation Retrospective from the 1970s including images of activists. I like others contributed several images. It is important to note that many of the images required restoration due to aging. This makes quite clear the impact of documentary imaging over a strictly technique based evaluation. Edmund Pierce Gallery, Melbourne 2014.
– Equanimity, 1991. Group permanent exhibition, Oncology Ward, Alfred Hospital, Prahran.
– Poverty in Melbourne: The Barnett Collection, including catalogue essay. St Andrews Cathedral, Melbourne 1997.
– Mature Visions, St Josephs Hostel Hawthorn, including catalogue essay, Catholic Homes for the Elderly, 1998.
– Karen Trist: Goddesses on and off the screen, including catalogue essay. Exhibition held at the
National Centre for Performing Arts,
Mumbai, India, 2002-3.
– House ~ Home, artists Karen Trist, Dr Berry and John Machinon, Profile Gallery, including essay, RMIT 2008.
– St Catherine’s a Life, St Catherine’s Aged Care Facility Documentary Exhibition, 1999 – 2000.
Work held in Collections
University of Wollongong Permanent Collection, installed in Central Library .
RMIT University, Permanent Collection of Photography.
The Powerhouse Museum, Sydney, images from extensive photographic work for fashion designer Jenny Kee.
Max Dupain for the Sydney Morning Herald, 1984 Architectural Photographers NSW Chapter of the Royal Institute of Architects 1984.
Spearritt, P, 2007, The Bridge Photographs of John Storey, an essay, Dr P Spearritt, Director Brisbane Institute, Queensland University, 2007.
This is a new group of talented photographic image makers who have joined into a cooperative for the presentation of diverse and innovative work that is aimed at projects that reflect a contemporary art base that is of social importance and cultural relevance. Exhibitions began in 2014 and will continue along with projects of significance.